Many car crashes often result in a victim suffering from minor to serious injuries, most of which are noticeable right after the impact has occurred. Scratches, bruises, bumps, and broken limbs are all pretty obvious injuries as most are easily identifiable, however, there are some injuries that won’t show up right after the wreck has transpired. We call these delayed injuries.
There are many types of delayed injury symptoms that often show up a few hours or a few days after an auto accident has transpired, although we are going to discuss seven of them here with you now using information provided by Dr. Alex Bigham, who is the owner and CEO of Novocur Pain Management Clinics as well as information from WebMD. Dr. Bigham shared his knowledge with KTAR News and we are now providing you with it in the event you were recently involved in an auto accident in Alexandria, LA.
- Numbness. If you start to experience feelings of numbness in your arms or hands, it might be an indication that you suffered a whiplash injury. According to WebMD, whiplash can be delayed for 24 hours or more following an accident and once the injury sets in, you might begin to feel the following symptoms:
- Neck pain and stiffness
- Pain in the shoulder or between the shoulder blades
- Lower back pain
- Pain in your arms or hands
- Difficulty concentrating or remembering
- Feelings of irritability
- Trouble sleeping
- Back pain. If you begin to feel any discomfort in your back a few hours or days after engaging in the car accident, you may have suffered an injury “to the muscles, ligaments, or nerves in the back” so it is best you get it checked out immediately.
- Neck or shoulder pain or stiffness. If you experience any pain in your neck or shoulders, this may also be a sign that you suffered a whiplash injury. WebMD says that your physician can determine if you suffered a whiplash injury by performing imaging tests, such as CT scans or an MRI (magnetic resonance imagining).
- Headaches. Although a headache might not be a sign that something serious is wrong, you won’t know until you are checked out by a doctor. The fact is, headaches “can be a sign of a potentially serious problem, such as a blood clot on the brain, an injury to the neck or head, or even a serious concussion” says Dr. Bigham.
- Abdominal pain or swelling. This is definitely one symptom you won’t want to ignore as it could be a sign that you suffered internal bleeding. Internal bleeding is “one of the most serious consequences of trauma,” says WebMD so before assuming that the pain will just dissipate, it is best you have a physician evaluate your condition to rule out internal bleeding or provide treatment for your injury.
- Changes in your personality or physical abilities. According to Dr.Bigham, “these could signal [you suffered a] traumatic brain injury from a concussion” so don’t wait to seek medical attention. Traumatic brain injuries are a common type of injury car accident victims suffer from and you wouldn’t want yours to worsen in severity simply because you ignored the warning signs your body provided you with.
- You begin to feel depressed or down. This might be a sign of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). PTSD “describes a range of emotional reactions caused by being faced with death or near-death circumstances or events that threaten your own or someone else’s physical well-being.” PTSD may cause you to “re-live the traumatic event with fear or feelings of helplessness or horror” [WebMD]. When PTSD is left untreated, it could develop into a serious case of depression which could have devastating effects on your life.
Now, aside from listening to your body and reacting to any symptoms you might be experiencing, you also want to consult with an Alexandria, LA car accident lawyer to find out how much compensation you are entitled to recover as a result of the wreck. Most car crash victims are able to recover a significant amount of money, especially when their injuries are serious enough, to make up for the losses they experienced.
To find out how much you are entitled to receive, whether it is from your insurer or the at-fault party, contact LA car accident lawyer Davey Jones. At my firm, we put the client first so if you can’t come to me, I’ll make it a point to come to you.
You can call or visit the Jones Law Firm at:
1330 Jackson Street
Alexandria, LA 71301